Since the first Beautycounter product most people tend to purchase is the Charcoal Bar, I thought I’d address a common question I get, “What is activated charcoal?”
What is Activated Charcoal
Click HERE to save this post for later.
According to Dr. Axe,
Activated charcoal is a potent natural treatment used to trap toxins and chemicals in the body, allowing them to be flushed out so the body doesn’t reabsorb them. It’s made from a variety of sources, but when used for natural healing, it’s important to select activated charcoal made from coconut shells or other natural sources.
Dr. Axe lists out 10 activated charcoal uses, but in number 7 he states,
For external treatments, it’s effective at treating body odor and acne and relieving discomfort from insect bites, rashes from poison ivy or poison oak, and snake bites.
Beautycounter Charcoal Bar
Click HERE to save this for later.
So what about the Beautycounter Charcoal Bar…..what’s in it?
The Beautycounter Charcoal Bar is made with a special type of activated charcoal powder called Binchotan that comes from Japanese Ubame oak.
In the 20th Century, scientists began to study the benefits of Binchotan and its properties, finding that it had a micro-porous structure with 270 square metres of internal surface in each gram. Through a process of ‘adsorption’, whereby particles are attracted and adhere to the surface, the pores cleanse the environment by adsorbing gases from the atmosphere, electromagnetic waves and radio frequencies as well as chlorine and heavy metals from water. (source)
- EWG Verified (top rating)
- Ingredients: Sodium Rapeseedate, Sodium Cocoate, Aqua/Water/Eau, Glycerin, Charcoal Powder, Sodium Citrate, Hamamelis Virginiana (Witch Hazel) Water*, Carthamus Tinctorius (Safflower) Seed Oil*, Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Oil, Alcohol*, Camellia Sinensis (Green Tea) Leaf Extract*, Tocopherol (Vitamin E). *Organic/Biologique
- How to use: Work soap into a lather with water, gently massage onto face and body, and rinse thoroughly.
Other Beautycounter Charcoal Items
Click HERE to save them for later.
I have only used the Charcoal Bar so far, and I absolutely love it. In addition to it, here are three other charcoal-based products to try:
- No. 3 Balancing Facial Mist: Active-infused and alcohol-free, this revitalizing mist preps skin, sets makeup, and refreshes throughout the day. Specially formulated with charcoal powder and kaolin clay, it absorbs excess oil, refines skin texture, and helps calm redness. Perfect for all skin types and those concerned with clarity, calming, and balancing.
- No. 3 Balancing Facial Mask: This nutrient-rich kaolin clay mask purifies and balances, absorbing excess oil and drawing out impurities. Activated charcoal minimizes the appearance of pores, giving skin a smooth, refined appearance while salicylic acid stimulates exfoliation. Perfect for all skin types and those concerned with congestion and oily skin.
- No. 3 Balancing Collection: A collection of targeted masks, mists, and oils formulated with safer ingredients to enhance your daily skin care regimen. Infused with activated charcoal and ylang ylang, the Beautycounter+ Balancing Collection gently refines oily, uneven skin. Activated charcoal and kaolin clay absorb excess oil and refine skin texture, giving skin a smooth, polished appearance.
Activated charcoal has benefits and uses far beyond skincare (like for the gut, which is next on my list to understand!), but if I haven’t made it very clear already, Beautycounter is my jam, and their activated charcoal skincare products are an easy way to explore the ingredient. 🙂