How excited am I to finally be able to write those glorious words, “dairy free?” If you’re confused, read my post from Tuesday (John Robbins & My Own John Robbins Personal Decision: Part II.)
I never cooked with Swiss Chard prior to the night I made this dish.
The long, luscious red stalks jumped out at me while in the grocery store. I couldn’t deny their beauty.
I took them home and remembered that yes, even in California, it’s winter. I decided on a warm “wintry” side dish.
Sauteed Swiss Chard Winter Delight
- 1/2 c. shiitake-ya mushrooms
- 1 bunch Swiss Chard
- 1/3 c. pine nuts, raw
- 1/2 c. golden raisins
- 1.5 tbsp. balsamic vinaigrette
- 1/2 tbsp. olive oil
- Rinse shiitake-ya mushrooms
- Bring a small pot of water to a boil. Reduce heat. Place rinsed mushrooms in the pot and simmer for 10 minutes
- Meanwhile, rinse the Swiss Chard
- Chop off hard ends of the chard and cut into smaller pieces
- In a small pan, toast the pine nuts in a little olive oil
- Once the pine nuts are done, place Swiss Chard, shiitake-ya mushrooms, golden raisins, pine nuts, balsamic vinegar and olive oil in a large frying pan and saute on low until chard leaves are cooked
- Sprinkle lightly with sea salt (if desired) and serve warm
Like this recipe? Print it here!
*Note: If your gut is not in a good place at this moment, this might not be the dish for you. Between the mushrooms, raisins and balsamic vinegar, your stomach could get very grumpy. Heal your gut and as you repair and feel better, dive in.
After you wash your Swiss Chard, fold it in half.
Cut it into smaller pieces. (p.s. I love my lettuce knife -> yes, they actually make knives just for lettuce so don’t tell me about this “Forks Over Knives” stuff. JK. Only kind of.)
Some people are highly allergic to pine nuts. If this is you, then obviously choose another nut (walnuts would be great) or just opt to leave them out altogether.
And look, there is Mr. Measure Owl again.
Saute these babies all up….
p.s. a great compliment to this meal would be a warm fireplace, a great book and
your husband giving you a foot massage some hot water with lemon.
Love your guts,