What do I do when a Colitis flare up hits? I’m sharing the 3 things to do during a Colitis flare up today.
Yesterday I explained to you in, “What is Proctitis” that much of the medical world doesn’t associate diet with flare ups or refraining from flare ups. I am not a doctor, but this is FAR from what I have ever experienced first hand.
When I changed my diet and overall lifestyle, I no longer needed medication. And if I reverted to any old ways, after a period of time, a full blown flare up emerged yet again.
This time was no different.
The good news? Instead of reaching for medication, I fell back on my tried and true (and extremely quick) way to healing.
3 Things to do During a Colitis Flare Up
Click HERE to save this video for later.
In addition to those 3 things to do during a Colitis flare up, when a Colitis flare up strikes, here are 10 more practical tips:
Click HERE to save these tips.
- No seeds. No nuts.
- No skins from apples, cucumber, zucchini, etc.
- Nothing extremely fibrous, including the skins from above and things like cauliflower and broccoli.
- Proceed with caution on carbs and sugar. I have 1 – 1.5 bananas a day. That’s it, and that is only because I workout and am moving about an hour a day (the workout is part of the healing – more on that tomorrow).
- Coffee extremely watered down, if at all. I have one cup (except for the first day when I have zero) per day, watered down with full-fat coconut milk.
- Slow-cooked chicken is my friend.
- So is my homemade chicken broth and homemade vegetable broth (but I don’t have the vegetable broth nearly as much as the chicken broth).
- Fats heal. A few tablespoons of things like avocado (I whip mine up in our awesome KitchenAid), coconut oil, and even the ever-so-delicious Coconut Manna.
- I eat no grains, not even the awesome gluten-free ones like quinoa.
- No alcohol. Not even a little red wine. Not at all. Just don’t.
I have been doing this for 4 days now. By day 2 (Monday) I was already leaps and bounds better. Today I’m almost fully recovered. But I will not make any drastic changes yet. I’m not healed, and it will take longer than 4 days. By this weekend, I’ll add more foods in. I can’t wait to share all the new things I’m going to cook up! And the following weekend?! Let’s not get ahead of ourselves….
If you remember only 3 things from this post, remember these:
- Just because it works for me, doesn’t mean it will work for you, but giving it a try never hurt anyone.
- Nothing changes if nothing changes.
- When you have a Colitis flare up you must remember that food is not always the enemy. We can’t solely blame it. There are several triggers.
I will talk about some of the Colitis flare up, non-food triggers tomorrow.