I may or may not have tears in my eyes when I tell you that as of today, June 20, 2011, I am exactly one year gluten free.
I will forever never be the same!
I will never forget the day I decided to go 100% gluten free, to make the life commitment. It was shortly after my 2nd endoscopy when it was determined that although I did not have Celiac, I was highly inflamed and a gluten-free diet would only help my digestive system progression.
The exact day I decided to put “gluten” to death, June 20, 2010, just so happened to be the day of the Eric Church concert. Crazy?! Yes! But I knew that if I could start on a day like that with so much temptation for food and drinks around, I could do it on any day!
This past year has been amazing with what I’ve learned, how I’ve grown and mostly –> the number of days I’ve had symptom free, compared to prior years! I will not sit here and write that I am 100% because the honest truth is that I still have days when I am forced to wonder, “Okay, I’m not eating gluten so why am I feeling miserable today?” I still have days when I don’t understand why it is that my body can’t process an over abundance of vegetables and various other fruits and sugars. Those are usually the days when I’m not religious to my natural supplements. But as a whole, from where I was then to where I am now, I am doing amazing.
I don’t have huge goals for year two because to be honest, year 1 is probably the biggest hurdle to overcome. That being said, here is my #1 goal for year two:
To keep creating more, new and interesting (gluten-free) things. And to share them, along with the knowledge acquired over the years via this site to benefit the lives of anyone and everyone who finds themselves now or will find themselves tomorrow in this very place.
And with that, it’s not about ME. It’s about YOU! But just for a second….here is what I want for my One-year gluten-free anniversary:
Taco-Salad Inspired” on the Gluten Free
- Black Beans (You don’t have to use Organics, but I do because they don’t put additives or extra salt in. I am not a huge fan of canned goods, but to save time I use them from time-to-time and go the best route possible.)
- Avocado (My KitchenAid = heaven! I placed 4 avocados in and whipped them up, adding only a hint of sea salt to it.)
- The Laughing Cow® Light Creamy Swiss
- Mixed Vegetables
- Ghee Butter (I have used this for a couple of years now. I melted about 1 tsp with my mixed vegetables for extra flavor. To learn more about Ghee Butter, read this great article found in Whole Living: Put Down the Margarine and Have Some Ghee!)
- RW Garcia – Flaxseed Chips – Thai Sweet & Spicy (First time I have tried these. Highly recommended! I crunch just a few on top.)
- Pace Picante Salsa – Medium (I used this as my dressing. It might just be a plain salsa, but it’s clearly labeled gluten free and I like it for the times I don’t feel like making my own!)
- Grilled Chicken
Today is a day of celebration! I don’t need anything fancy to celebrate. But I will soak up the accomplishment, dedication and milestone with some awesome gluten-free food, an intense workout and a big ‘ole smile through it all. Catch you on the flip side of gluten free: year two.
If you enjoy my posts on the gut and/or healing + true wellness with food and lifestyle click HERE to subscribe to my e-newsletter. If you enjoy my posts on life, inspiration, passion, entrepreneurship, adoption, love, thoughts, faith and living in a way that gives us purpose, daily click HERE to subscribe to my e-newsletter (a different one). To follow the blog in general, be sure to place it in your feed.